Paper weights can be very confusing. We would like to offer a very general understanding of paper weights. This is not technical, but we will associate common weights with everyday items you may come in contact with. Here at Cutcardstock, we deal with two basic weights: TEXT WEIGHT and COVER WEIGHT. These two identifiers are probably the most important factors when you are purchasing a sheet of paper for your project. Please note that 80# text weight is a paper weight and 80# Cover weight is a card stock; although they have the same number marking them, they are two completely different papers.
- Paper that will vary from 50# text (20# Bond) copy paper to 80# text (32# Bond) letter head paper.
- Text weight paper can also be labeled as bond or offset.
- As far as weight, most home printers can print on all paper weights.
- Most envelopes are converted from text weight paper.
- Card Stock is categorized as cover weight and will include business cards, post cards, and invitations.
- The higher the weight, the heavier the card stock.
- Card stock will vary from 56# cover weight which is a very light weight card stock up to 236# cover weight which is a very heavy card stock. 80# Cover weight Card Stock is a medium weight card stock
- Most home printers can print on card stock that is 65# - 80# Cover weight.
- If you are unsure of your printer, we recommend test printing first. We offer complimentary samples for this purpose.
- Please note that 110# Index weight is different than 110# Cover weight.
Weight Comparison Chart
|Bond||Text Weight (Offset)||Cover Weight||Index||Pts||Caliper (inches)||mm||
|20||50||3.8||.0038||0.097||75.2 gsm||All-puspose, copy paper|
|24||60||4.8||.0048||0.12||90.3gsm||Laser & Inkjet printing letterheads|
|28||70||5.8||.0058||0.147||105.35 gsm||Letter head, flyers, church bulletins|
|32||80||45||6.3||.0063||0.155||118 gsm||Program Paper|
|65||8||.0078||0.198||176 gsm||Post cards, folded invitations, flyers|
|80||9.5||.0092||0.234||216 gsm||Post Cards, Invitations, business cards|
|105||13||.013||0.33||285 gsm||Invitations and Invitation backings|
Paper and Envelope Sizes
It's important when choosing paper, card stock, and envelopes to make sure you get compatible sizes. We recommend consulting the info below and double checking the sizing of items in your order to make sure that you avoid having to cut things down later, or simply not having something fit together.
- Envelopes are almost always converted from text weight paper. The heavier the weight number, the heavier the envelope. A basic economy envelope will be converted from 20/50# paper. A nicer Invitation Envelope may be converted from 80# Text weight paper. More information on Paper weights can be found here.
- Announcement Envelopes such as A1, A2, A6, A7 and A9, generally have a square flap.
- We also sell Announcement envelopes that have a long triangular flap, these are called Euro Flap or deep flap envelopes.
- Baronial envelopes have a pointed flap.
- The sizing for Square Envelopes match their name. For instance, a 6 inch square envelope measures 6"x6".
- PLEASE NOTE: Enclosures for Square Envelopes must be at least ¼ “ smaller than the envelope size. The invitation size for a 6 inch square envelopes would need to be 5.75 inches by 5.75 inches or smaller (We recommend a 5.5" square invitation for a 6" square envelope). A 6 inch square envelope will not hold a 6 inch square invitation.
- A handy Guide for choosing your perfect invitation envelope can be found at the CutCardStock Blog.
- Be sure to check United States Postal Service for additional costs and sizing restrictions for specialty envelopes.
Paper and Envelope Size Chart
|Type||Envelope Size||Enclosed Size||Popular Use|
|A1 (4 Bar)||3.625" x 5.125"||
3.475" x 4.874"
3" x 5"
Response Cards, RSVP Cards
|A2 (5 1/2 Bar)||4.375" x 5.75"||4.25" x 5.5"||
Party Invitations, Annoucements
Thank You Notes
|A6 (6 Bar)||4.75" x 6.5"||
4.625" x 6.25"
4.5" x 6.25"
Save The Dates
|A7 (Lee)||5.25" x 7.25"||
5" x 7"
5.125" x 7"
Very Popular for Wedding Invitations,
Greeting Cards, Party Invitations,
|A8||5.5" x 8.125"||5.125" x 7.75"||Wedding Invitations|
|A9||5.75" x 8.75"||5.5" x 8.5"||
Wedding Invitations, Other Invitations,
|No. 10||4.125" x 9.5"||4" x 9.25"||
Announcements, Party Invitations,
Wedding Invitations, Business Sized Envelope