Hello and welcome - today we're making another thank you card while playing with new Distress Oxide inks.
I thought it’d be great to use Royal Sundance Linen card stock while blending these inks together for the first time. I wanted to see how the ink would work with the texture of the linen paper.
I cut an 8.5x11 piece of the linen card stock into four pieces to use however I might need them for my card. I also chose Distress Oxides in Peacock Feathers, Picked Raspberry, and Seedless Preserves. As these inks are a hybrid of both pigment and dye, they can be used in such a wide variety of ways.
For full details, watch the step by step video tutorial from the Pigmentology Youtube page:
I decided to blend Peacock Feathers across the entire background of a linen card stock panel. I wasn’t worried about blending evenly as I knew I wanted to use stencils and distress the paper with water. Just getting pigment down was my goal.
I then brought out a stencil I made from acetate on my Silhouette Portrait that has a ton of little circles on it in various sizes. I started pouncing “Seedless Preserves” into the stencil with my mini blender, careful not to let the stencil shift. I put a larger concentration of color towards the middle and blended out gradually from there. Then I started layering the pink and purple on top of one another with smaller detailed parts of the stencil.
After I eventually got a sort of “halftone” texture, I decided to spritz with water. I could have let it dry like that, but I decided to soak up the water with a towel to remove some of the pigment. I spritzed and blotted once more before I was happy.
The end result is really interesting .. I’m really having a good time figuring out these inks.
I found a linen-textured pink and purple card base from a recollections card kit and decided to use the purple, while cutting up the pink to create a sentiment panel. The pink panel needed some subtle interest, so I applied Picked Raspberry direct to paper, made sure it was good and covered, then sprayed with water a few times. The different shades of splotchy pink were made more interesting by the “oxidization” of these inks, which create a slightly chalky finish.
The layout needed more contrast, so I trimmed some more Royal Sundance linen to fit behind everything while leaving a white line at the top and bottom. It still needed more, so I made a “mat” for the pink panel as well. And I was starting to feel it was more complete.
Ready to stamp the sentiment, I decided to use Hero Arts Unicorn White as it is a very pigmented white ink that I could also emboss with. Once stamped with the white ink, I used paper source white embossing powder to cover it.
When the powder is melted, we’re ready to embellish. I watered down a little of white ink on a corner of my acrylic block before using my brush to flick onto the pink panel. It helps to contain the mess and directs the splatter where I want to put it. For more contrast, I brought in a crayola broad line marker in “tropical violet” to add some shadow to the sentiment. I watered down the marker and splattered the purple ink on as well.
To adhere everything, I decided to use Scor-Tape. I prefer my Scotch ATG as it’s so easy and quick, but I’m running out of adhesive and need to buy more. So, time for Scor-tape. It’s good and strong and perfect for this application, I just find it tedious to apply and peel the backing off all the tape pieces.
I use an X-ACTO to cut out a long scalloped piece from more linen card stock and apply scor-tape pieces to the back. Once I get that adhered, I’m much happier with the overall effect. Just need to trim off the sides that are a little uneven. And…we’re done!
Thank you so much for joining me today!
Instagram // Facebook // Etsy // Youtube